NDEC Volunteer Digital Navigator Program
Will You Help Break Down the Digital Divide?
Are you passionate about helping individuals in your community access affordable internet and learn how to use devices? Can you commit to at least one hour a week to learn how to help Maine residents improve their digital skills and access affordable internet and devices? Through our unique Digital Navigator Training program, our Volunteer Digital Navigators learn how to assist Maine residents with one or more of the following goals:
- Signing up for and attending NDEC digital skills classes, both online interactive and onsite in Maine.
- Learning specific basic skills on a one-on-one basis (e.g., learning to use Zoom; setting up or creating an email address on a device) so that they can participate in NDEC classes and other learning opportunities, especially those that are online only.
- Learning how to apply for the FCC Affordable Connectivity Program, and/or selecting an appropriate internet service provider.
Our volunteer Digital Navigators are assigned specific individuals that request assistance from the National Digital Equity Center. We also provide training for organizations that have staff Digital Navigators serving a specific population. To inquire about our Community Digital Navigator Training Program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements of the NDEC Volunteer Digital Navigator Program
Our volunteers can participate as little or as much as they like; from one hour a week to several hours each month. There is also no required length of service. Each participant in the NDEC Digital Navigator Program is asked to complete the following:
- The NDEC Enrollment Registration Form at digitalequitycenter.org/enroll.
- A Volunteer Packet which includes our Confidentiality Agreement and Code of Conduct. All NDEC Staff and Volunteers are bound by this Code of Conduct – click here to read.
- Pass a Maine State Background Check & National Sex Offender Registry Check
- Complete a one-hour initial orientation to determine the digital navigator roles you wish to pursue.
- A short series of assessments to determine your digital skills.
- Individualized training based on the digital navigator roles that you decide to take on.
If you are interested in exploring becoming an NDEC Volunteer Digital Navigator, please email us at email@example.com to explore this volunteer opportunity.