Affordable Device Referral Program
We are now entering into our second round of funding for our Affordable Devices Program through a grant from the Maine Office of Community Development. We’ve learned a lot from our first round of funding – namely, that it is often difficult to get in touch with those who need devices and internet access most – people who need a champion to communicate with and for them due to limited cell phone access and transient housing.
Before receiving a device, each recipient in our Affordable Devices Program has to go through a process to:
- Determine eligibility based on household size, county of residency, and household income;
- Complete their NDEC Enrollment Registration Form;
- Agree to an End User Agreement for the device that best meets their needs: and
- Register for and complete specific required NDEC classes.
Below are the devices that are available through our Affordable Devices Program and the requirements for each:
- For those with limited or no home internet access, a data-enabled Samsung Android tablet for which we pay the monthly data fee for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months, these devices must be returned or the recipients must make arrangements to pay the $30/month data fee.
- For those with high speed internet access, either a Windows 10 desktop computer or a Windows 10 laptop computer. The recipients of these computers are provided a Certificate of Ownership after completion of their required free classes.
If you are affiliated with an organization that serves Maine residents that could benefit from the NDEC Affordable Devices Program, we would like to invite you to become an NDEC Affordable Devices Program Referral Partner. We will provide you the training that you need to complete the qualification steps for each individual you refer. As an acknowledgement to each referral partner’s commitment to help us close the Digital Divide, we will send a refurbished Windows 10 desktop computer with webcam to you after your first referral.
We also have a limited number of MiFi Hotspots through US Cellular that we can provide to partner agencies such as yours at our cost of $60.00 for the device and $30/month, a pass-through cost to the cellular company. These hotspots may allow one of your recipients to get the WiFi access needed to receive a Windows 10 desktop or laptop computer.
To participate in the NDEC Affordable Devices Referral Program, please contact us at (207) 259-5010 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a call to schedule you for a one-hour ADP Referral Orientation via Zoom. We will start taking referrals on September 15th from all partners who have completed this orientation.
If you are interested in and are not yet part of either our NDEC Volunteer Tutor Program or NDEC Partner Onsite Classes Program, please don’t hesitate to mention that and we will get you connected with those programs as well.